Provision a new virtual machine:
- Log into the VMware Cloud Director (tenant) portal
- Click on your Data Centre
- Click on vApps in the left hand menu
- Under your vApp, click on Actions > Add > Add VM
- Click on the button "ADD VIRTUAL MACHINE"
- In the 'Name' field, enter the name of the computer
Note: The 'Computer Name' field will be automatically populated using the 'Name field'.
The name cannot contain spaces or special characters, and can be a maximum of 15 characters long.
- Under Type, select one of the following options:
- New - blank VM with no OS
- From Template -- vGRID Server Templates with pre-built OS
--- For 'New' deployments ---
- Select your OS Family * Select Microsoft Windows server 2016 or later (64-bit) if you are deploying either Server 2016 or 2019
- Select Boot image (if available)
- Select the size - pre-defined or custom sizing for CPU, RAM and Disk
- Under Storage, select your storage policy
- Under Networking, select your network, adapter type, and IP mode
--- For deployment 'From Template' ---
- Select your preferred template
- Select the required storage tier under Storage Policy
- Set the Virtual machine settings to your requirements - vCPU + RAM
- Under NIC's, ensure that Connected is ticked, select your 'Network' and 'IP Mode'. ** if you select "Static - Manual", you will also need to enter the IP address.
- Click OK
- This will return you to the Add VMs to vApp-xxx popup window. Repeat the above process if you wish to add more VMs.
Once you have added your new VMs, click the "ADD" button to start the deployment
Once deployed, you will be able to edit the new VM.
Customize the new virtual machine:
Under Compute > Virtual Machines menu, locate the VM that you have deployed
Click on Details button of the VM
1. Under Hardware - Hard Disks menu, click the EDIT button
- If you would like to extend "Disk 0", alter the size here and adjust Policy (storage tier) as required.
- Click the ADD button to add additional disks. Then enter the size required and adjust Policy as needed.
- Once completed, click the SAVE button
2. Specify a new Administrator password (optional)
- Click on 'Guest OS Customization' menu and then click the EDIT button
- Untick 'Auto generate password' option and then enter your preferred password in the 'Specify password' field
- Click Save button
** Note: if no password is specified, one will be automatically generated.
Power on the VM and wait approx. 5 minutes.
> After the initial boot, the VM will reboot and apply the customization - you will need to wait until this process has been completed before logging onto the VM.
If you have any further questions or need help, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org